Remembering… Poje’s Luncheonette
Pictured above is the iconic 1950s Poje’s Luncheonette and Sweet Shoppe. The business was started by Frank Poje in the 1930s as a garage and gas station and was known for the race car that was affixed to the roof of the building. Frank Poje, born in Austria, emigrated to the United States and moved to the Mastics around 1929. The community library would like to express our condolences to the Poje family with the passing of Adelaide Poje, daughter of Frank Poje, this past November of 2017.
Our Past… The Old South Haven Church
The Old South Haven Church, pictured above, was the first congregational church erected on the South Shore of Brookhaven town in 1718. The church, pictured above and rebuilt in 1828, was originally located near the South West side of the Carmens River and attended by revolutionaries Gen. William Floyd, William Tangier Smith, Gen. Nathaniel Woodhull, and Col. Josiah Smith. The church went through several re-models during the 19th and 20th century, and was moved to its current location, Brookhaven, in 1960.
Our Past…..the Hawkins – Downs Cemetery
This small family cemetery, hidden in a wooded lot off of James Hawkins road, contains the remains of the Hawkins and Downs ancestors who originally settled the area. Daniel Downs originally started a farm and ran a Tavern that was visited by Jefferson and Madison on their historic Northern Tour and visit with Gen. William Floyd. The Property was sold to the Hawkins family in 1793.
Remembering… The Hedges Hotel
Originally built around 1916 by Brookhaven Town Supervisor Dayton Hedges and known as the Hedges Hotel, the facility later became known as the Tangiers Soldier and Sailor Rest Home. The building, destroyed by the hurricane of 1938, was located just across the original wooden bridge also completed in 1916 after 6 years of construction, which connected Suffolk Blvd (now the William Floyd Parkway) to Smith Point Beach. President Theodore Roosevelt was said to have stayed while on a waterfowl shooting expedition. Also of note in an old newspaper article was the fact that the American Library Association opened a local branch in the building to provide reading material for visitors.
Looking Back – Mastic Park Liquors
Mastic Park Liquors, awarded Landmark Status in 2010, was originally constructed around 1922 as a Texaco Gas Station stop by Lewis Parr. The building was turned into a liquor store and run by Clifford Hawkins in the 1950s. Mr. Hawkins was a prominent member of the community and instrumental in the success of the William Floyd School District for which he was a trustee.
Remembering… Captain Andy’s Fishing Station
Pictured above is Captain Andy’s fishing Station, which was opened in the 1940s by Andrew Moscovicz. Located at Sheeps Pen Creek at the end of Cranberry Drive in Mastic Beach. It later became the former Violet’s Cove Restaurant in 2002, before closing sometime around 2008.
Looking back…… The first St. Judes R.C. Church at Mastic Beach
Originally opened around 1933, the old church building was recently torn down in January 2017 after being closed and left in disrepair for several years. Located on Neighborhood Road, it was the second church to open in Mastic Beach, the first one being St. Andrews Episcopal Church nearby.